[Python-Dev] Allowing import star with namespaces

Brendan Moloney moloney at ohsu.edu
Tue Apr 26 20:35:00 CEST 2011

Ethan Furman wrote:
> The strongest reason for not doing this is that it pollutes the current
> namespace, not that it obliterates the 'pkg' namespace.

Sorry, I phrased that badly.  When I said "obliterates the 'pkg' namespace" I was referring to dumping the 'pkg' namespace into the current namespace (polluting it, as you would say).

> How would that be different from
> --> import pkg

Because that does not import all of the (public) modules and packages under 'pkg'. For example scipy has has a subpackage 'linalg'.  If I just do 'import scipy' then I can not refer to 'scipy.linalg' until I do 'import scipy.linalg'.

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> By the way, this sort of question should probably go to the python-ideas
> mailing list for any extended discussion.

Sorry, didn't realize that would be the more appropriate list.

Thanks,
Brendan