[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython: Issue #11223: Add threading._info() function providing informations about the

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Apr 20 16:11:37 CEST 2011

On 01:11 pm, benjamin at python.org wrote:
>2011/4/20  <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com>:
>>On 08:20 am, victor.stinner at haypocalc.com wrote:
>>>
>>>Hi,

>>Can I propose something wildly radical?  Maybe the guarantees made
>>about
>>whether an API will be available in future versions of Python
>>(ostensibly
>>what "public" vs "private" is for) should not be tightly coupled to
>>the
>>decision about whether to bother to explain what an API does?
>
>With what criteria would you propose to replace it with?

I'm not sure what kind of criteria you're thinking of.  I'm only
suggesting that:

  1) Document whatever you want (preferably as much as possible)

  2) Make "privateness" defined by whether there is a leading underscore

It is a big mistake to think that documentation isn't necessary for
things just because you don't want application developers to use them.
Maintainers benefit from it just as much.

Jean-Paul