[Python-Dev] Hg question

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 20:35:54 CEST 2011

I was preparing a commit to 3.2 and default branches and mistakenly
used -m insread of -l commit option.  As a result, I have

$ hg out
comparing with ssh://hg@hg.python.org/cpython
searching for changes
changeset:   69272:0bf1354fab6b
branch:      3.2
parent:      69268:bfc586c558ed
user:        Alexander Belopolsky <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com>
date:        Tue Apr 12 14:00:43 2011 -0400
summary:     m.txt

changeset:   69273:516ed700ce22
tag:         tip
parent:      69270:c26d015cbde8
parent:      69272:0bf1354fab6b
user:        Alexander Belopolsky <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com>
date:        Tue Apr 12 14:02:22 2011 -0400
summary:     m.txt

I would like to replace m.txt in the summary with the content of the
file m.txt.  I tried to use the recipe [1], but qimport fails:

$ hg qimport -r 69272:tip
abort: cannot import merge revision 69273

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/623052/how-to-edit-incorrect-commit-message-in-mercurial

PS: This scenario seems to be a usability regression compared to SVN.
SVN would actually warn me if I tried to use -m with a file name
instead of a message and editing the commit log in SVN is fairly
straightforward.