[Python-Dev] We should be using a tool for code reviews

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Sep 29 22:56:46 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 13:31, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> ..
>> But maybe with Hg it's less of a burden to ask people to use a checkout.
>>

> I thought with Hg it would be more of a burden for casual contributors
> to use a checkout simply because the checkout is many times bigger.

Many times bigger than what? If you mean svn that's not true (the eval
of the DVCS pegged Hg at only 50% larger than svn). If you mean
compared to the tar.bz2 file, then sure, but a zip of an Hg checkout
is under 50 MB which is less than 5x larger.

But honestly, the line has to be drawn somewhere. Right now we won't
take a patch submitted to the mailing list, but accepting patches not
against a checkout wastes time for everyone involved as soon as it
doesn't apply cleanly. At that point either a core developer has to
fix it or (what typically happens) the person has to get a checkout,
update their patch, and then re-submit. We might as well minimize that
when possible by really pushing for checkout patches.