[Python-Dev] Goodbye

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Sep 24 02:31:29 CEST 2010

On 9/23/2010 7:12 PM, darren at ontrenet.com wrote:

> So if there turns out to be a major security hole or sever bug in 2.7,
> then it shouldn't be filed against 2.7? and fixed in a 2.7.x sort of
> branch?
> In that case, would you just suggest everyone using 2.7 to jump to 3.x?
>
> As long as a 2.x version is supported, filing bugs, branching and even
> releasing critical updates is, although rare, a fact of life.

I am not sure who or what you are responding to. The below is based on
the fact the 2.7 is now closed to *new features* and will be as long as
the CPython pydev group maintains it. In another post I said that the
Versions field is needed for *bugs* as long as we are maintaining 2.7,
which will be for several years, because there are and will continue to
be 2.7 and 3.x specific bugs.

If you want *new features*, then yes, you need to jump to 3.x. Otherwise
you can relax, and perhaps contribute to 2.7 bug fixes if you want.

--
Terry Jan Reedy