[Python-Dev] Moving the developer docs?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Sep 23 18:16:49 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 8:52 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> I have to agree with Jesse. We have too many wiki pages that are so
>> out of date they're dangerous. They serve a purpose, and I think we
>> should have a wiki in addition to the "official" documentation. This
>> could be aggressively linked from it so people can comment on that
>> documentation -- a commenting system like the PHP docs have would be
>> even better, but that's been an unimplemented idea for so long that
>> I'm not holding my hopes up.
>
> You must have forgotten that you lent the time machine keys to Georg,
> though :-)
>
> http://gsoc.jacobmason.us/blog/?p=35
> http://bitbucket.org/jacobmason/sphinx-web-support
> http://gsoc.jacobmason.us/demo/contents

But before Georg returns the keys, he should make sure to install this
on docs.python.org. :-)

(I like it, but it needs some work. The login page needs instructions
for people who've forgotten how to use OpenID. There needs to be an
introduction on how to use the comment system at the root of the site.
It would be nice to allow anonymous comments (with a way for site
managers to turn this off on a per-page basis). And it would be nice
if there was a pop-up with snippets of comments when you mouse over a
comment bubble.)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)