[Python-Dev] [issue1633863] AIX: configure ignores $CC

Sébastien Sablé sable at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 17 11:40:12 CEST 2010

Hi Martin,

I have started to correct quite a lot of issues I have with Python on
AIX, and since I had to test quite a lot of patchs, I though it would be
more convenient to setup a buildbot for that platform.

So I now have a buildbot environment with 2 slaves (AIX 5.3 and 6.1)
that builds and tests Python (branch py3k) with both gcc and xlc (the
native AIX compiler) (I have 4 builders ("py3k-aix6-xlc",
"py3k-aix5-xlc", "py3k-aix6-gcc", "py3k-aix5-gcc").

I expect to add 4 more builders for branch 2.7 in coming days.

I would like to share the results of this buildbot to the Python
community so that issues with AIX could be addressed more easily.

R. David Murray pointed me to the page on the python wiki concerning
buildbot. It is stated there that is is possible to connect some slaves
to some official Python buildbot master.

Unfortunately, I don't think this solution is possible for me: I don't
think the security team in my company would appreciate that a server
inside our network runs some arbitrary shell commands provided by some
external source. Neither can I expose the buildbot master web interface.

Also I had to customize the buildbot rules in order to work with some
specificities of AIX (see attached master.cfg), and I can't guarantee
that this buildbot will run 24 hours a day; I may have to schedule it
only once at night for example if it consumes too much resources.

(And the results are very unstable at the moment, mostly because of
issue 9862).

On the other hand, I could upload the build results with rsync or scp
somewhere or setup some MailNotifier if that can help.

How do you think I could share those results?

regards

--
Sébastien Sablé