[Python-Dev] (Not) delaying the 3.2 release

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 15:26:23 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 19:55:16 -0500
> Jacob Kaplan-Moss <jacob at jacobian.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > My goal (personally) is to make sure python 3.2 is perfectly good for use in web applications, and is therefore a much more interesting porting target for web projects/libraries and frameworks.
>>
>> To try (again) to make things concrete here:
>>
>> I didn't work to get Django running on Python 3.0 because it was just too slow.
>>
>> I'm not working to get Django running on Python 3.1 because I don't
>> feel confident I'll be able to put any apps I write into production.
>>
>> If Python 3.2 is the same, I won't feel any motivation to target it
>> and I'll get to be lazy and wait for Python 3.3.
>
> Why won't you feel confident? Are there any specific issues (apart from
> the lack of a WSGI PEP)?
> If they are technical problems, they should be reported on the bug
> tracker.
> If they are representational, cultural or psychological issues, I'm
> not sure what we can do. But delaying the release won't solve them.
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.

Can we please give it a little bit of time to hear from the WSGI /
Web-Sig folks? I've encouraged bugs to be filed, and discussions to
happen here so we know if things (and what those things are), should
be fixed. Is there any need, other then our current schedule to push
3.2 out until we can at least get some feedback from the interested
parties?