[Python-Dev] 3.x as the official release

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Sep 15 20:02:28 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:36, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <jacob at jacobian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Fundamentally; I would gladly hold up 3.2 (just my opinion) for the
>> needed fixes to the standard lib [...]
>
> I think I should share a little anecdote at this point:
>
> Earlier in the year I worked for a while on Django/Py3. It's actually
> not that hard of a task (because I'm building on the work by MvL and
> some of Greg Wilson's students!) and I quickly got a simple app
> working locally. So the next step for me was to see about putting the
> app into production... and that's where the wheels fell off.
>
> So that's where I stopped. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not willing to
> expend the effort to get Django ported if I can't put it into
> production. Most of us working on Django are going to feel the same
> way, I suspect.
>
> Further, I can say with some confidence that until the WSGI issue is
> sorted the Python web world isn't going to have much enthusiasm for
> Python 3.
>
> I'm trying not to sound overly negative here -- really, I can't *WAIT*
> to be able to switch to Py3! But until I have a bunch of
> interoperable, robust WSGI servers like I do on Python 2 -- modwsgi,
> uwsgi, cherrypy, gunicorn, ... -- Python 3 is going to remain a pipe
> dream.

Which is why I would like to see this settled *now* rather than later.
It's Georg's call, but I'm also fine with holding up Python 3.2 *if*
we set a goal date to get this settled. If we release 3.2 without
these fixes we won't have a chance for wsgiref to get updated until
roughly June 2012 for Python 3.3 which will be 3.5 years since Python
3.0 was released.

The Python web development community is a big (and friendly) part of
the overall Python community. I think they deserve to have us do what
we can as the harbingers of the language (and by extension, the
technical aspect of the community as what we decide the community
takes queues from) to solve this issue to allow forward movement
towards using Python 3.