[Python-Dev] 3.x as the official release

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Sep 15 18:44:34 CEST 2010

  On 15/09/2010 17:35, Jesse Noller wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Brett Cannon<brett at python.org>  wrote:
> ...snip...
>>> The one area I have concerns about is the state of WSGI and other
>>> web-oriented modules. These issues have been brought up by Armin and
>>> others, but given a lack of a clear path forward (bugs, peps, etc), I
>>> don't think it's fair to use it as a measurement of overall quality.
>> The whole WSGI situation is not going to get cleared up (from my
>> understanding) until someone flat-out declares a winner in the whole
>> str/bytes argument that keeps coming up. I think it might be time to
>> have a PEP or two on this and use our new PEP dictator procedure to
>> settle this so it stops dragging on (unless it has been miraculously
>> settled and I am just unaware of it).
>>
> Yup, and I spoke with some people with horses in that race at
> Djangocon. The important thing is that the PEP(s) and suggestion come
> from the people with the most experience in that domain. That's why I
> said we (in the "committer" sense) need a clear path of things we need
> to change or fix - without it we're just stabbing in the dark.

I agree. wsgi is a different kettle of fish to the other "web related
modules" in the standard library though. (wsgiref is the only directly
wsgi related standard library module IIUC.) email, cgi, nntplib, ftplib
and friends all still need to work correctly with both bytes and strings
and that shouldn't need a great deal of discussion (well perhaps except
email) just people willing to do the work.

Unfortunately in some cases will need backwards incompatible changes.
For example at the moment cgi reads from stdin in text mode and so is
broken for file uploads. We have also heard recently from Antoine about
backwards incompatible changes required in nntplib.

All the best,

Michael