[Python-Dev] PEP 384 status

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 12:59:22 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 6:34 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> In other words, the problem mainly arises when you need to integrate
> libraries which you can not recompile with the compiler used by
> python, because the code is not visual-studio compatible, or because
> the library is only available in binary form.

In my case, I was building on an old dev system which only has VC6,
but needed to link against Python 2.4 (which was compiled with MSVC
2005). The build process didn't use distutils, so that didn't affect
anything.

It works, you just have to know what APIs you have to avoid. The C
runtime independence aspects of PEP 384 are just about enlisting the
compiler in the task of making sure you *have* avoided all those APIs.
The rest of the PEP is about hiding the details of some of Python's
own data structures to allow them to change without affecting the
stable ABI.

Cheers,
Nick.