[Python-Dev] Two small PEP ideas

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 06:08:58 CEST 2010

On Apr 30, 2010, at 12:51 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Without a BDFL, I think we need a committee to make decisions, e.g. by
> majority vote amongst committers.

I like Guido's idea.  Just appoint have one of the experienced developers
who is independent of the proposal and have them be the final arbiter.
For example, Guido had earlier suggested that I decide the fate of the
"yield from" proposal because I had experience in the topic but was not
not personally involved in the proposal.

Guido has set a good example for others to follow:
* let a conversation evolve until an outcome is self-evident
* or kill it early if it has no chance
* or if discussion teases out all of the meaningful thinking
   but doesn't reach a clear conclusion, just make a choice
   based on instinct
* have biases toward real-world use cases, towards ideas proven in
   other languages (category killers),  towards slow rates of language
   evolution, and think about the long-term.

It is better to have one experienced developer decide than to have
a committee.

Raymond