[Python-Dev] On breaking modules into packages Was: [issue10199] Move Demo/turtle under Lib/

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Tue Oct 26 23:54:40 CEST 2010

On 10/26/2010 02:34 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> FWIW, it wasn't that big (approx 2500 lines).
> The argparse, difflib, doctest, pickletools, pydoc, tarfile modules
> are about the same size and the decimal module is even larger.
> Please don't split those.

Sense you mention this...

I've worked on pydoc to make it much nicer to use in a browser.  While
doing that I needed to reworked the server part.  That resulted in a clean
server thread object (and supporting parts) with no pydoc specific code in
those parts.  It can work as a stand alone module quite nicely.  It's about
170 lines with around a third of that as documented examples that can also
run as doctests.

More to the point, it's a simple text/html server wrapped in a thread
object.  It can work as a starting point to using a browser as a user
interface like pydoc does.

There is a patch in the bug tracker,  I just need to make some minor
updates to it and it can go in, but I really need some code
organizing/placement review help.

I I'm wonder what you may think.  Keep it in pydoc or move it to the HTTP
package?  Document it or not?

Ron