[Python-Dev] On breaking modules into packages Was: [issue10199] Move Demo/turtle under Lib/

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Oct 26 22:46:15 CEST 2010

On 26/10/2010 15:05, R. David Murray wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:39:19 -0700, Raymond Hettinger<raymond.hettinger at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> If someone wants to reorganize code for clarity, I would prefer keeping
>> it within one file, bringing related functions together and using
>> comment lines to mark the major sections.  ISTM, this is cleaner than
>> introducing a new directory and having multiple files that cross-import
>> one another.
> +1 (or more)
Really, you prefer to work in single multi-thousand line modules than
cleanly split smaller packages? (Is that how you develop your own
projects, out of interest?)

The cross imports are unfortunate (there are very few actually circular
dependencies in the package though I think), but more of an indictment
on the design of unittest than the decision to split it into a package.

How the splitting happened is that I proposed it on this list many
months ago and got one reply in favour and no dissenters. Benjamin
actually did the splitting.

I find unittest *massively* easier to maintain and navigate now that it
is a package. It doesn't take very long to work out where the classes
live (no time at all if you look in the module names - where the classes
live is *very* obvious except for the TextTestResult which lives
alongside the TestRunner). The package split into modules is into
conceptual units, where the responsibility of the units is clear. This
makes the code not only easier to navigate but easier to *think about*.
The structure of unittest is now much clearer.

I find the big-ball-of-mud style development, where everything lives
inside huge monolithic modules, very painful. I also think that it is an
extremely bad example for new developers. There is something to be said
for consistency within the standard library, but I don't think it is a
price worth paying in this particular case.

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/