[Python-Dev] Issue 10194 - Adding a gc.remap() function

Peter Ingebretson pingebre at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 19:24:26 CEST 2010

--- On Tue, 10/26/10, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
> Is there any reason that you'd want to do this?
> > http://doublestar.org/python-hot-loading-prototype/

I have a relatively large application written in Python, and a
specific use case where it will significantly increase our speed
of iteration to be able to change and test modules without needing
to restart the application.  We have experimented with different
approaches to reloading and this one seems the most promising by
a wide margin.

> Overall, I think this adds lots of backwards incompatible
> code for an obscure use-case that will cause subtle and
> complicated bugs. So, -1.

Would you still object to the change if (visitproc), Py_VISIT and
tp_traverse were reverted to their previous state, and a separate
path was added for modifying references using (visitchangeproc),
Py_VISIT_CHANGE, and tp_traverse_change?

Thanks,
Peter