[Python-Dev] About resolution “accepted” on the tracker

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Tue Oct 19 05:27:06 CEST 2010

On 10/18/2010 07:07 PM, R. David Murray wrote:

> Seriously, though, what it indicates is indicates is that we need a unit
> test for the patch to be complete.  We have a number of issues with
> patches but no tests, I believe.  Which order 'unit test' and 'fix'
> occur in is arbitrary in practice.  I certainly prefer to have the unit
> tests first myself, though.
>
> The problem is that the stage field really isn't all that useful. I'd
> prefer a set of check boxes, as I've suggested in the wiki.
>
> I was the one who advocated labeling it 'unit test needed', but if
> people would rather change it back to just 'test needed', I will raise
> no objection, since in practice trying to squeeze the meaning I wanted
> into the stage field doesn't really work.

This is about communicating both content and quality, with several
decisions at certain points.  It's not a straight line step by step
process, which is why it gets confusing if you try to treat it as such.
Check boxes work well for things like this.

Could something like (or parts of) the following work?  It would have
assignment and module keywords items as well.

[] boxes can be set or unset by both the bug/feature author and those with
tracker/commit privileges.

{} boxes settable only by those with tracker and commit privileges?

     Title [________________________________]

     Description [_______________________...]

     TYPE:
	[] Bug
             Versions:
                [] 2.5     [] 2.6    [] 2.7
                [] 3.0     [] 3.1    [] 3.2
                {} Verified

         [] Feature Request
             For Version [_____]    *Drop down list.

             {} Initial approval    *May be rejected later.
             Requires PEP:
                 {} yes       PEP Number [______]
                 {} no

     STATUS:
	Components:
             [] Code Patch             {} approved
             [] Test patch             {} approved
             [] Document Patch         {} approved
             [] News Entry Patch       {} approved
             [] Final Commit Approval  {} approved

	{} Committed
             Revision #(s) {____________________}
             Notes:{____________________________}

         {} Rejected
             Reason:{___________}  *Drop down list here.

         {} Closed

     ATTENTION REQUESTS:
        [] Request bug verification          *Auto set when new bug.
        [] Request feature initial approval  *Auto set when new.

        [] Request author reassignment
           *Current author unable to work on this.

        Request test patch      [] review  [] approval
        Request code patch      [] review  [] approval
        Request document patch  [] review  [] approval
        Request news patch      [] review  [] approval
        Request final commit    [] review  [] approval

        *More than one attention request can be set at a time.
        *Reviewer clears request if revision is needed or item is ok.

Most changes to any of these should also be documented in the discussion
area as well.

Ron