[Python-Dev] Stable build slaves authority

Stephen Hansen me+python at ixokai.io
Thu Oct 14 00:25:32 CEST 2010

On 10/13/10 3:14 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Am 14.10.2010 00:08, schrieb Stephen Hansen:
>> On 10/13/10 2:47 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>>> (you'll notice that we have currently no 64-bit Windows machine although
>>> 64-bit support under Windows has specific issues)
>>
>> Provided its not a problem that its a VM, I have a hefty 64-bit Win7
>> Professional instance that I can put a buildslave on. Despite being a VM
>> it gets ownership of two cores and 4 gigs of RAM, so should be plenty
>> fast to handle the load. And I do run it 24/7.
>
> So far, we didn't have problems with VMs.
>
> Please be aware that Windows poses its own challenges. Often, builds
> or testsuite runs end up with popup windows, which then hang subsequent
> builds. You often get dozens of them to click away. So operating a
> Windows slave is much more tedious than a Unix one.

Windows always poses its own challenges. :) That's why I have the VM
(and three others for older versions of windows, that just aren't on all
the time like that one is) to begin with*, for testing out my day-job work.

I'll give it a go; I have all the software needed to run the buildbot on
it already besides VC Express, which I'm installing now. If ultimately
it becomes too much of a pain, I'll go back to just providing the mac.
But, I actually have a vested interest in upgrading our Python to 64-bit
in the next few months, so! I'm motivated.

I'll let you know when I have everything installed so you can add a
buildslave account.

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai