[Python-Dev] Distutils2 scripts

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Oct 12 14:04:56 CEST 2010

  On 12/10/2010 12:55, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 12 October 2010 00:42, Giampaolo Rodolà<g.rodola at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I know. My point was you can't do it by default and installing a
>> module is something even a less experienced user usually does.
>> Typing "C:\PythonXX\pysetup" is harder compared to "setup.py install"
>> and solving this problem by modifying your environment paths so that
>> you can just type "pysetup" is something I would expect to be done by
>> the MSI installer, not the user.
> I would assume (am I wrong?) that the canonical way of installing
> modules on Windows for "non-advanced" users under distutils2 would
> still be to download and run a binary installer.
>
> Assuming that's the case, modifying paths to make sure pysetup is
> available as a command is no harder than making Python itself
> available. (Having said that, I'd still personally prefer to have the
> distutils2 command be invoked by some form of python -m invocation).

Sure, scripts like pysetup are typically installed into
C:\PythonXY\Scripts on Windows. Adding this to the path is no harder
than adding C:\PythonXY to the path - in fact it is *exactly* as hard.
Some people have an issue that they have to do this *at all* though.

Having the script invoked by "python -m ..." is no easier from this
point of view, for it to work from the command line you still have to
modify your path to be able to do it. Personally I would prefer a
separate script, "pysetup install foo" is less annoying to type than
"python -m distutils2.install foo" or "python -m setup install foo".

All the best,

Michael

> Paul.

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.