[Python-Dev] Build failure in test_cmd_line on OSX-x86

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Fri Oct 8 23:40:42 CEST 2010

In article
<AANLkTi=cE3rSWWDzgBeZ833UGQy=f2H3JiQDWXWVxvKh at mail.gmail.com>,
 Stephen Hansen <me+python at ixokai.io> wrote:
> I edited the launchd config to force LANG = "en_US.UTF-8" and the test
> suddenly passes, which is good. I have no idea why the LANG would end up
> different when the app is launched from launchd -- even though it was
> running as the same user as I was doing the testing against -- but,
> apparently, it was.

OS X does not automatically set LANG in all "launch" environments.
Terminal.app in 10.5 and 10.6 has a preference to "set locale
environment variables on startup" so, if you are running under it,
you'll see LANG set.  But if you execute via launchd or ssh (for
instance), it will not automatically be set unless you do something like
explicitly set and export it in a shell startup file.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org