[Python-Dev] Build failure in test_cmd_line on OSX-x86

Stephen Hansen me+python at ixokai.io
Fri Oct 8 20:09:41 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 10:02:59 -0700
> Stephen Hansen <me+python at ixokai.io <me%2Bpython at ixokai.io>> wrote:
> >
> > And long story short, it gets to 201 and runs test_cmd_line in the same
> > order as the buildbot did, and it succeeds too, and I curse the gods of
> the
> > netherworld, and am stumped with how to proceed. Two separate buildbot
> runs
> > and this same failure happened, yet for me, no. Or I'm doing something
> > differently then the buildbot is, and I can't see what.
>
> The buildbot user probably has different locale settings. I can
> simulate the failure with:

I'd find that very surprising: the buildslave is running as the same user I
am running the test under, and the LANG is en_US.UTF-8 -- the default.
Granted, the slave's running under launchd, and so is launching twisted with
the tac directly -- but I can't see any part of that process which would
cause the default LANG to change.

Interestingly enough, I can't reproduce the failure with:

  Top-2:build pythonbuildbot$ PYTHONFSENCODING=latin1 ./python.exe -m
test.regrtest -uall test_cmd_line.py
  [1/1] test_cmd_line
  1 test OK.
  [84024 refs]

(and just to test--)

  Top-2:build pythonbuildbot$ PYTHONFSENCODING="utf-8" ./python.exe -m
test.regrtest -uall test_cmd_line.py
  [1/1] test_cmd_line
  1 test OK.
  [84024 refs]

But I don't think that environment variable does anything on the Mac; I'm
pretty sure the fs encoding is set as utf-8 and mandated as such in the OS.

> You should therefore see what the locale settings of the buildbot are
> (the LANG and LC_* environment variables). Of course, the test is also
> buggy so you should open an issue on the tracker.

I'm just not sure what to say about it or in what way its being buggy yet,
so can't open an issue :)

> (and the fact that the test doesn't print the actual error message of
> the spawned interpreter is unhelpful)

Agreed.

--S