[Python-Dev] Distutils2 scripts

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Fri Oct 8 19:01:40 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> pkg_manager ?

1. Underscores are evil.  Don't do that.

2. Mixed shortened + written-out names are just nasty.

> Mmm.. setup.py is gone in D2, and setup.py will be the marker of d1.

Did we finally decide it could be done without setup.py entirely, in
all cases?  I guess I've been busy elsewhere lately.

> Some project might want to provide both setups for backward
> compatibility:
>
> - a setup.py (d1)
> - a setup,cfg (d2 and optionally some d1 options)

If a project requites setup.py for any reason, it can include the
compatibility it needs there, even if there is sometimes a need for d2
to use a setup.py:

    try:
        import distutils2
    except ImportError:
        import distutils.core
        distutils.core.setup(...)
    else:
        distutils2.core.setup()

Anyway, the pysetup name offered in tis thread works for me as well.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fdrake at acm.org>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein