[Python-Dev] Distutils2 scripts

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Oct 8 16:26:36 CEST 2010

On Oct 08, 2010, at 03:22 PM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

>Yes that what I was thinking about -- I am not too worried about this,
>since every Linux  deals with the 'more than one python installed'
>case.

Kind of. <wink>  but anyway...

>> I'm in favor of add a top-level setup module that can be invoked using
>> "python -m setup ...".  There will be three cases:
>
>Nice idea ! I wouldn't call it setup though, since it does many other
>things. I can't think of a good name yet, but I'd like such a script
>to express the idea that it can be used to:

I like 'python -m setup' too.  It's a small step from the familiar thing
(python setup.py) to the new and shiny thing, without being confusing.  And
you won't have to worry about things like version numbers because the Python
executable will already have that baked in.

>- query pypi
>- browse what's installed
>- install/remove projects
>- create releases and upload them
>
>pkg_manager ?

No underscores, please. :)

Actually, a decent wrapper script could just be called 'setup'.  My
command-not-found on Ubuntu doesn't find a collision, or even close
similarities.

I still like 'egg' as a command too.  There are no collisions that I can see.
I know this has been thrown around for years, and it's always been rejected
because I think setuptools wanted to claim it, but since it still doesn't
exist afaict, distutils2 could easily use it.

In any case, these could be a simple shell script wrapping 'python -m setup'.
It could even take a --use-python-version option to select the pythonX.Y it
used, without having to encode the Python version number in the script name.

-Barry