[Python-Dev] PEP 384 final review

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 20:45:35 CET 2010

2010/11/29 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
>>>  - Should the distutils support for LIMITED_API be part of the pep, or
>>>   be implemented later?
>>
>> In any case, it has to be implemented in Distutils2, not in Distutils.
>> Distutils is frozen and just in maintenance mode.
>
> I think it's too late for that. PEP 3149 is accepted, and it does
> specify a change to distutils (namely, the abi= parameter). ISTM that
> an approved PEP will override the distutils code freeze.

Having an accepted PEP does not imply that it should be implemented in
the standard library.

For instance PEP 345 and PEP 376 are accepted but implemented in Distutils2.

it's also a:

- good opportunity to boost Distutils2 adoption
- way to get feedback from people for that abi= option and have the
chance to correct any design issue before d2 is added in the sdtlib

>> For Python itself we can backport the feature in its setup.py, until
>> Distutils2 is back to the sdtlib
>
> This won't be for python itself, but for extension modules.

ok.

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org