[Python-Dev] Python and the Unicode Character Database

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Nov 29 02:25:56 CET 2010

Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> writes:

> If Python wishes to limit the digits allowed in numeric *literals* to
> ASCII 0...9, that's one thing, but I think that the digits allowed in
> numeric *strings* should allow the full range of digits supported by
> the Unicode standard.

I assume you specifically mean that the numeric class constructors, like
‘int’ and ‘float’, should parse their input string such that any
character Unicode defines as a numeric digit is mapped to the
corresponding digit.

That sounds attractive, but it raises questions about mixed notations,
mixing digits from different writing systems, and probably other
questionss I haven't thought of. It's not something to make a simple
yes-or-no-decision on now, IMO.

This sounds best suited to a PEP, which someone who cares enough can
champion in ‘python-ideas’.

--
 \      “The manager has personally passed all the water served here.” |
  `\                                                  —hotel, Acapulco |