[Python-Dev] Python and the Unicode Character Database

Joao S. O. Bueno jsbueno at python.org.br
Sun Nov 28 22:12:09 CET 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 15:58:33 -0500
> Alexander Belopolsky <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>> ..

>> > Why would they assume the text is ASCII?
>>
>> def deposit(self, amountstr):
>>       self.balance += float(amountstr)
>>       audit_log("Deposited: " + amountstr)
>>
>> Auditor:
>>
>> $ cat numbered-account.log
>> Deposited: ?????.??
>

> I'm not sure that's how banking applications are written :)

+1 for this being bogus  - I see no correlation whatsoever in numbers
inside unicode having to be "ASCII" if we have surpassed all technical
barriers for needing to behave like that.  ASCII is an
oversimplification of human communication needed for computing devices
not complex enough to represent it fully.

Let novice C programmers in English speaking countries deal with the
fact that 1 character is not 1 byte anymore. We are past this point.

  js
  -><-