[Python-Dev] constant/enum type in stdlib

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Nov 25 11:37:13 CET 2010

On 25/11/2010 09:34, Glenn Linderman wrote:
> So the following code defines constants with associated names that get
> put in the repr.
>
> I'm still a Python newbie in some areas, particularly classes and
> metaclasses, maybe more.
> But this Python 3 code seems to create constants with names ... works
> for int and str at least.
>
> Special case for int defines a special  __or__ operator to OR both the
> values and the names, which some might like.
>
> Dunno why it doesn't work for dict, and it is too late to research
> that today.  That's the last test case in the code below, so you can
> see how it works for int and string before it bombs.
>
> There's some obvious cleanup work to be done, and it would be nice to
> make the names actually be constant... but they do lose their .name if
> you ignorantly assign the base type, so at least it is hard to change
> the value and keep the associated .name that gets reported by repr,
> which might reduce some confusion at debug time.
>
> An idea I had, but have no idea how to implement, is that it might be
> nice to say:
>
>     with imported_constants_from_module:
>            do_stuff
>
> where do_stuff could reference the constants without qualifying them
> by module.  Of course, if you knew it was just a module of constants,
> you could "import * from module" :)  But the idea of with is that
> they'd go away at the end of that scope.
>
> Some techniques here came from Raymond's namedtuple code.
>

> def constant( name, val ):
>     typ = str( type( val ))
>     if typ.startswith("<class '")  and  typ[ -2: ] == "'>":
>         typ = typ[ 8:-2 ]
>     ev = '''
> class constant_%s( %s ):
>     def __new__( cls, val, name ):
>         self = %s.__new__( cls, val )
>         self.name = name
>         return self
>     def __repr__( self ):
>         return self.name + ': ' + str( self )
> '''
>     if typ == 'int':
>         ev += '''
>     def __or__( self, other ):
>         if isinstance( other, constant_int ):
>             return constant_int( int( self ) | int( other ),
>                                  self.name + ' | ' + other.name )
> '''

Not quite correct. If you or a value you with itself you should get back
just the value not something with "name|name" as the repr.

We can hold off on implementations until we have general agreement that
some kind of named constant *should* be added, and what the feature set
should look like.

All the best,

Michael

>     ev += '''
> %s = constant_%s( %s, '%s' )
>
> '''
>     ev = ev % ( typ, typ, typ, name, typ, repr( val ), name )
>     print( ev )
>     exec( ev, globals())
>
> constant('O_RANDOM', val=16 )
>
> constant('O_SEQUENTIAL', val=32 )
>
> constant("O_STRING", val="string")
>
> def foo( x ):
>     print( str( x ))
>     print( repr( x ))
>     print( type( x ))
>
> foo( O_RANDOM )
> foo( O_SEQUENTIAL )
> foo( O_STRING )
>
> zz = O_RANDOM | O_SEQUENTIAL
>
> foo( zz )
>
> y = {'ab': 2, 'yz': 3 }
> constant('O_DICT', y )

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.