[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r86720 - python/branches/py3k/Misc/ACKS

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed Nov 24 21:04:40 CET 2010

Am 24.11.2010 20:25, schrieb Terry Reedy:
> On 11/24/2010 2:04 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 15:07, Terry Reedy<tjreedy at udel.edu>  wrote:
>
>>> I used Notepad to edit the file, TortoiseSvn to commit, the same as I did
>>> for #9222, rev86702, Lib\idlelib\IOBinding.py, yesterday.
>>> If the latter is OK, perhaps *.py gets filtered better than misc. text
>>> files. I believe I have the config as specified in dev/faq.
>>
>> Adding the BOM will be an editor thing, not a svn thing. Doing a
>> Google search for [ms notepad bom] shows that Notepad did the
>> "helpful", invisible edit.
>
> So I presume it did the same with IOBinding.py. Does *.py get filtered
> is a way that could be extended to no-extention files? Do *.txt files
> get BOM filtered off? Should all text files in repository have some
> extension (default .txt)?
>
> More to the point, can better filtering be added to the new hg
> repository? Or can a local Windows hg setup have such filtering on local
> commits before pushing?

Of course it can; it's just a matter of writing the respective hooks.
What we *can* do in any case is to check for UTF-8 "BOMs" server-side
in the whitespace checking hook.

> I know now that I could always edit with IDLE's editor, but it is a lot
> easier to right click and select edit than it is to run thru the
> directory tree in an open dialog. And of course, since the pseudo-BOM
> addition is undocumented within notepad itself, and probably other
> editors, it is easy to not know.

It should show up as an invisible change in the first line of a file when you
look at a "svn diff".  (It is a very good practice to look at a diff before
committing anyway.)

Georg