[Python-Dev] Mercurial Schedule

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Nov 18 18:32:33 CET 2010

>> Alternatively, b1 should be postponed until after the Mercurial
>> migration is done.
>
> I think this "new feature" is not so shocking that it can be used as
> an argument to hold up the migration. If you have another reason to
> stop the migration please say so; personally I can't wait for it to
> happen.

I can't point out any other specific concern, just a general feeling
that *when* the migration happens, it will be rushed, and we will have
to deal for a long time with the aftermath. For example, I expect that
it will take me several days until I get the Windows build process to
work correctly, and, if the migration gets as rushed as it appears to,
that the migration will happen without everything being worked out
beforehand.

Therefore, I'm concerned that I will have to work out all the details
on my own, just so that I can produce the b2 binaries (says); this is
not something I look forward to.

I'm not asking that the migration be stopped - I'm asking that it be
accelerated, so that there is plenty of time to identify all the
problems. But I'm also not willing to put time into it.

Failing the acceleration, I ask that appropriate consequences for
the 3.2 release are drawn: either it is postponed, or done using
Subversion until the final release (I think something can be worked
out then to get the 3.2.1 release from Mercurial - with only slight
incompatibilities).

In general, I'm *also* concerned about the lack of volunteers that
are interested in working on the infrastructure. I wish some of the
people who stated that they can't wait for the migration to happen
would work on solving some of the remaining problems.

Regards,
Martin