[Python-Dev] Breaking undocumented API

Łukasz Langa lukasz at langa.pl
Wed Nov 17 13:37:27 CET 2010

Am 17.11.2010 12:57, schrieb Michael Foord:
> On 17/11/2010 11:45, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> The definition of the public/private policy in all its gory detail
>> should be in PEP 8 as Guido suggests.
>
> +1

Guido did not said that, though. I'm with Fred and other people that
agree that PEPs should be more-less immutable. Let's make a new document
(PEP 88?). The reasoning was well laid out here:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-November/105641.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-November/105642.html

> Have we agreed the policy though?

Everybody has their own opinion on the matter. This discussion thread is
getting too fractured to actually get us far enough with the
conclusions. Let's make a PEP and discuss concrete wording on a concrete
proposal.

>> The library documentation may then contain a note about the difference
>> in compatibility guarantees for public and private APIs, say that any
>> interface and behaviour documented in the manual qualifies as public,
>> then point readers to PEP 8 for the precise details.
>>

> +1

Yes, point to PEP 88.

Best regards,
Łukasz Langa