[Python-Dev] Removal of Win32 ANSI API

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Nov 11 17:43:35 CET 2010

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:10:35 +0000
Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> On 11/11/2010 16:07, Hirokazu Yamamoto wrote:
> > Hello. Is it possible to remove Win32 ANSI API (ie: GetFileAttributesA)
> > and only use Win32 WIDE API (ie: GetFileAttributesW)?
> > Mainly in posixmodule.c.
> > I think we can simplify the code hugely. (This means droping bytes
> > support for os.stat etc on windows)
> >
> > # I recently did it for winsound.PlaySound with MvL's approval
>
> +1 from me

How do you support cross-platform code using bytes filenames?
IIRC, it has already been argued that it was an important feature. Many
filesystem-related utilities might prefer to handle filenames in bytes
form.

("winsound" is a Windows-specific module so that wasn't a concern
obviously)

Regards

Antoine.