[Python-Dev] Breaking undocumented API

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Nov 8 19:39:26 CET 2010

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Michael Foord
> <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>  wrote:
> ..
>> If you deprecate it then you don't *have* to fix bugs in it. If we know it
>> is used then we can't remove it without deprecation.
>>
> What about the maintenance branch?
So you have a bug in the module that can only be fixed in a function you
want to deprecate?

It depends what approach you are taking in 3.2. If you are creating a
new private function, in which you will fix the bug, but keeping an
alias around to the old name so that you can deprecate it - then merely
fixing the bug in the maintenance branch should be fine.

(If you're deprecating the function because it is unneeded then you
don't need to fix bugs in the maintenance branch either - I guess no-one
would complain if you did though.)

Michael

--

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.