[Python-Dev] Continuing 2.x

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 10:42:26 CET 2010

2010/10/28 Kristján Valur Jónsson <kristjan at ccpgames.com>:
> Hello all.
>

> So, python 2.7 is in bugfix only mode.  ‘trunk’ is off limit.  So, where
> does one make improvements to the distinguished, and still very much alive,
> 2.x series of Python?
>
> The answer would seem to be “one doesn’t”.  But must it be that way?

Except for making releases that start backporting Python 3 features
and breaking backwards compatibility gradually (which may or may not
be a good idea) I don't see the point. There isn't much to do when it
comes to improving the language, and there is a moratorium anyway.
Improvements in the standard library can be more easily done in
external libraries anyway, and then you can release the improved
libraries for everything from Python 2.4 and forwards if you like.

So it can be done, but the question is "Why?"

--
Lennart Regebro, Colliberty: http://www.colliberty.com/
Telephone: +48 691 268 328