[Python-Dev] Parallel test execution on buildbot

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Sat May 8 19:16:57 CEST 2010

Hi all,

Has anyone considered using regrtest's -j option in the buildbot
configuration to speed up the test runs?  Antoine Pitrou pointed out
that even for single CPU slaves, this could be a win due to the number
of tests that spend time sleeping or waiting on I/O.  And on slaves with
multiple CPUs it would clearly be even better.  eg, I don't know what
hardware is actually in the Solaris slave (bot loewis-sun), but if it
has the full 4 UltraSPARCs that it could, then running with -j4 or -j5
there might bring its runtime down from nearly 100 minutes to 20 or 25 -
competitive with some of the more reasonable slaves.

Jean-Paul