[Python-Dev] PEP 3147, __pycache__ directories and umask

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Mar 23 23:57:48 CET 2010

Greg Ewing <greg.ewing <at> canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
> > The main point of the __pycache__ proposal is to solve the needs of
> > Ubuntu/Debian packagers. If you are developing (rather than deploying or
> > building packages), you shouldn't have these needs AFAICT.
>
> Maybe it's one point, but I'm not sure it's the *main* one.

It's the only reason the PEP was originally designed, and proposed.

> Personally I would benefit most from it during development.

Why? What benefit would it bring to you?

> I hardly ever look in the directories of installed packages,
> so I don't care what they look like.

Neither do I, but Ubuntu/Debian packagers want to share the source code of
third-party libraries across Python versions while keeping distinct bytecode
files (obviously).
Again, that's the original point of the PEP as proposed by Barry.