[Python-Dev] PEP 3147, __pycache__ directories and umask

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Mar 23 14:35:43 CET 2010

Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu.com> writes:

> On 23.03.2010 02:28, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Perhaps also of note is that the FHS recommends systems use
> > ‘/var/cache/foo/’ for cached data from applications:
> >
> >      /var/cache : Application cache data
> >
> >      Purpose
> >
> >      /var/cache is intended for cached data from applications. Such data is
> >      locally generated as a result of time-consuming I/O or calculation. The
> >      application must be able to regenerate or restore the data. Unlike
> >      /var/spool, the cached files can be deleted without data loss. The data
> >      must remain valid between invocations of the application and rebooting
> >      the system.
> >
> >      <URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-2.3.html#VARCACHEAPPLICATIONCACHEDATA>
> >
> > This would suggest that Python could start using ‘/var/cache/python/’
> > for its cached bytecode tree on systems that implement the FHS.
>
> it reads *data*, not code.

So what? There's no implication that data-which-happens-to-be-code is
unsuitable for storage in ‘/var/cache/foo/’. Easily-regenerated Python
byte code for caching meets the description quite well, AFAICT.

--
 \      “It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might |
  `\                                           be wrong.” —Chris Torek |