[Python-Dev] Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X)

webmaster at python.org webmaster at python.org
Sun Mar 21 14:55:18 CET 2010

Hey all,

This seems to happen whenever we do a new release (we've had a couple of
emails to webmaster at python.org about it since 2.6.5 was released). The
main download page for Python has a broken link for the Mac installer
(because it hasn't been built yet I assume):

     http://python.org/download/

The link 404s, with no explanation or alternate link - so for the casual
user who wants to install Python 2.6 on Mac OS X they are
sorely-out-of-luck.

Not being able to provide a mac installer at the same time as other
platforms is one thing (and I accept that is unavoidable), breaking the
download links for Mac users for unspecified lengths of time is just bad
practise. If we create a new stable release without a Mac installer can
we at least provide a brief explanation and link to the *previous
version* until the new version is ready?

All the best,

Michael