[Python-Dev] "Fixing" the new GIL

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Mar 16 23:37:36 CET 2010

Le Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:02:13 +0000, Kristján Valur Jónsson a écrit :

>> Well, I don't think this has ever been by design, and it's not obvious
>> this is desirable either (see Dave Beazley's benchmark).
>>
> Did Dave benchmark a straight FIFO system?

Well, he presented benchmark figures with two threads, which is a FIFO
system with the new GIL (because when a thread releases the GIL, it
ensures that another thread takes it).

> We have never had high priority for IO threads in python
> (and its not-by-design round robin scheduler on single core cpus) and it
> is unclear why that should be required now as a fix.

I agree that Dave's situation doesn't seem new to me, although he often
presents it as a deficiency of the new GIL only.

Regards

Antoine.