[Python-Dev] C++

Meador Inge meadori at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 04:17:05 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Le Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:29:09 -0600,
> skip at pobox.com a écrit :
> >
> > Traditionally Python has run on some (minority) platforms where C++
> > was unavailable.
>
> Is this concern still valid? We are in the 2010s now.
> I'm not saying I want us to put some C++ in the core interpreter, but
> the portability argument sounds a little old...

One area where this _may_ be a problem is with embedded systems.  I believe
there are some instances where folks have built Python into an embedded
system (with an RTOS say VxWorks, Symbian, QNX Neutrino, Nucleus, etc...)
where C++ is not always the easiest to develop in.  Admittedly, though,
these types of systems are by far a minority with respect to Python.  Just
thought I would mention it anyhow.

-- Meador