[Python-Dev] [PEP 3148] futures - execute computations asynchronously

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Mar 8 01:47:50 CET 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 11:56 AM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 10:59 AM 3/7/2010 -0800, Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:
>>
>> So is it that you just don't like the idea of blocking, and want to stop
>> anything that relies on it from getting into the standard library?
>
> Um, no.  As I said before, call it a "parallel task queue" or "parallel task
> manager" or something to that general effect and I'm on board.
>
> It may not be in the Zen of Python, but ISTM that names should generally
> follow use cases.  It is something of a corollary to "one obvious way to do
> it", in that if you see something whose name matches what you want to do,
> then it should be obvious that that's the way in question.  ;-)
>
> The use cases for "parallel task queues", however, are a subset of those for
> "futures" in the general case.  Since the proposed module addresses most of
> the former but very little of the latter, calling it futures is
> inappropriate.
>
> Specifically, it's:
>
> 1. Confusing to people who don't know what futures are (see e.g R.D.
> Murray's post), and

This is not a problem. We will document what we consider a future.

> 2. Underpowered for people who expect/want a more fully-featured futures
> system along the lines of E or Deferreds.

This sounds like an underhanded slur towards the PEP.

> It seems that the only people for whom it's an intuitively correct
> description are people who've only had experience with more limited futures
> models (like Java's).  However, these people should not have a problem
> understanding the notion of parallel task queueing or task management, so
> changing the name isn't really a loss for them, and it's a gain for
> everybody else.

I expect that the majority of Python users fall either in camp #1
(never heard of futures, will be happy to learn about what Python
calls futures) or camp #3 (have used Java futures). The users of E can
be counted on a few hands. Deferreds are used heavily in some Python
circles but most Python users (myself included) have at most a very
vague idea of them. Also, as you clarify below, Deferreds are so much
more powerful that they can't possibly be mistaken for futures (as
defined by this PEP). Plus they already have a name.

>>  Given the set_result and set_exception methods, it's pretty
>> straightforward to fill in the value of a future from something that isn't
>> purely computational.
>
> Those are described as "internal" methods in the PEP; by contrast, the
> Deferred equivalents are part of the public API.
>

>>  Given a way to register "on-done" callbacks with the future, it would be
>> straightforward to wait for a future without blocking, too.
>
> Yes, and with a few more additions besides that one, you might be on the way
> to an actual competitor for Deferreds.  For example: retry support,
> chaining, logging, API for transparent result processing, coroutine support,
> co-ordination tools like locks, sempaphores and queues, etc.
>
> These are all things you would very likely want or need if you actually
> wanted to write a program using futures as *your main computational model*,
> vs. just needing to toss out some parallel tasks in a primarily synchronous
> program.
>
> Of course, Deferreds are indeed overkill if all you're ever going to want is
> a few parallel tasks, unless you're already skilled in using Twisted or some
> wrapper for it.
>
> So, I totally support having a simple task queue in the stdlib, as there are
> definitely times I would've used such a thing for a quick script, if it were
> available.
>
> However, I've *also* had use cases for using futures as a computational
> model, and so that's what I originally thought this PEP was about.  After
> the use cases were clarified, though, it seems to me that *calling* it
> futures is a bad idea, because it's really just a nice task queuing system.
>
> I'm +1 on adding a nice task queuing system, -1 on calling it by any other
> name.  ;-)

So let's focus on the functionality of the task queuing system, and
stick to roughly the functionality proposed in the PEP.

The name is a non-issue and further discussion ought to be sent to
null-dev at python.org.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)