[Python-Dev] [PEP 3148] futures - execute computations asynchronously

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Mar 6 06:55:25 CET 2010

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com writes:

 > The "explicit" futures on the wikipedia page seems to cover what is
 > commonly referred to as a future.  For example, Java's futures look like
 > this.
 >
 > The "implicit" futures are what is generally called a promise.  For
 > example, E's promises look like this.

*sigh*  All I can say is "it's a damned shame that there are no native
speakers of English working in computer science."<wink>

I have to admit Jean-Paul's explanation a pretty convincing reason for
adopting "future" rather than "promise".  But I'm with Skip, I would
prefer that the module be named "future" rather than "futures".
(Especially when wearing my Professional Economist sweatshirt. :-)