[Python-Dev] email package status in 3.X

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Jun 23 14:17:20 CEST 2010

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
>> Any "turdiness" (which I am *not* arguing for) is a natural consequence
>> of the kinds of backward incompatibilities which were *not* ruled out
>> for Python 3, along with the (early, now waning) "build it and they will
>>  come" optimism about adoption rates.
>
> FWIW, my optimisim is *not* waning. I think it's good that we're
> having this discussion and I expect something useful will come out of
> it; I also expect in general that the (admittedly serious) problem of
> having to port all dependencies will be solved in the next few years.
> Not by magic, but because many people are taking small steps in the
> right direction, and there will be light eventually. In the mean time
> I don't blame anyone for sticking with 2.x or being too busy to help
> port stuff to 3.x. Python 3 has been a long time in the making -- it
> will be a bit longer still, which was expected.

+1

The important thing is to avoid bigotry and FUD, and deal with things
the way they are. The #python IRC team have just helped us make a major
step forward. This won't be a campaign with a victorious charge over
some imaginary finish line.

regards
 Steve
See Python Video!       http://python.mirocommunity.org/
"All I want for my birthday is another birthday" -
                                     Ian Dury, 1942-2000