[Python-Dev] #Python3 ! ? (was Python Library Support in 3.x)

Laurens Van Houtven lvh at laurensvh.be
Mon Jun 21 17:33:35 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Arc Riley <arcriley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would suggest that if packages that do not have Python 3 support yet are
> listed, then their alternatives should also.

Okay, this is being worked on.

> PyQt has had Py3 support for some time.

Added, as well as PySide.

> PostgreSQL and SQLite do (as does SQLAlchemy)

wrt Postgres: Is that psycopg2? Not sure what that's an alternative
to, since the 2.x list doesn't have any ORMs or database APIs at the
moment (unless Django counts).

> CherryPy has had Py3 support for the last release cycle

Okay, going to add it but can't right now because lots of people are editing.

> libxml2 does not, but lxml does.

That's okay, I don't think many people seriously use python-libxml2
anyway (using lxml instead) :-) Again, not sure what that would be an
alternative for though?

> Also, under where it mentions that most OS's do not include Python 3, it
> should be noted which have good support for it.  Gentoo (for example) has
> excellent support for Python 3, automatically installing Python packages
> which have Py3 support for both Py2 and Py3, and the python-based Portage
> package system runs cleanly on Py2.6, Py3.1 and Py3.2.

As Barry has pointed out 3.x is in many distros now, so in order to
not make people angry that their distro who also does the Right Thing
isn't mentioned (what's Arch do? py3k is easily available from AUR,
that's not really ArchLinux proper but every Arch user I've ever
talked to considers AUR an integral part), I added this:
"""
Also, quite a few distributions have Python 3.x available already for
end-users, even if it's not the default interpreter.
"""
I think that would make everyone happy, and the wiki article that much
more maintainable.

Thanks for your input,
Laurens