[Python-Dev] email package status in 3.X

lutz at rmi.net lutz at rmi.net
Fri Jun 18 19:22:10 CEST 2010

> Python 3.0 was *declared* to be an experimental release, and by most
> standards 3.1 (in terms of the core language and functionality) was a
> solid release.
>
> Any reasonable expectation about Python 3 adoption predicted that it
> would take years, and would include going through a phase of difficulty
> and disappointment...

Declaring something to be a turd doesn't change the fact that
it's a turd.  I have a feeling that most people outside this
list would have much rather avoided the difficulty and
disappointment altogether.

Let's be honest here; 3.X was released to the community in part
as an extended beta.  That's not a problem, unless you drop the
word "beta".  And if you're still not buying that, imagine the sort
of response you'd get if you tried to sell software that billed
itself as "experimental", and promised a phase of "disappointment".
Why would you expect the Python world to react any differently?

> Whilst I agree that there are plenty of issues to workon, and I don't
> underestimate the difficulty of some of them, I think "half-baked" is
> very much overblown. Whilst you have a lot to say about how much of a
> problem this is I don't understand what you are suggesting be *done*?

I agree that 3.X isn't all bad, and I very much hope it succeeds.  And
no, I have no answers; I'm just reporting the perception from downwind.

So here it is: The prevailing view is that 3.X developers hoisted things
on users that they did not fully work through themselves.  Unicode is
prime among these: for all the talk here about how 2.X was broken in
this regard, the implications of the 3.X string solution remain to be
fully resolved in the 3.X standard library to this day.  What is a
common Python user to make of that?

--Mark Lutz  (http://learning-python.com, http://rmi.net/~lutz)