[Python-Dev] View tracker patches with ViewVC?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jul 27 04:14:13 CEST 2010

On 7/25/2010 8:35 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Am 26.07.2010 02:24, schrieb Terry Reedy:
>> To review a patch on the tracker, I have to read and try to make sense
>> of the raw diff file. Sometimes that is easy, sometimes not.
>>
>> *After* a patch is applied, I can click the revxxxx link and then the
>> 'text changed' link and see a nice, colored, side-by-side web-pace view
>> created by ViewVC. Is there any way a 'view' button could be added,
>> along with the current edit and remove buttons, to produce the same web
>> page and make it easier to review patches *before* commitment?
>
> You should be using Rietveld for that.

There is no mention of Rietveld in the tracker docs that I could fine.
Did I miss something?

That fact that one needs to go to http://codereview.appspot.com/
rather than the rietveld page was not immediately obvious from 'use
Rietveld'.

 > That may not be so easy - you'll have to authenticate to Rietveld from
 > Roundup.

This is why I suggested ViewVC -- it already is at python.org and could
potentially be directly accessed with a button.

 > The other way 'round actually works: if you put report at bugs.python.org
 > into the reviewer list when uploading to Rietveld, Rietveld changes
 > get automatically posted to the tracker. If you then also chose a
 > sensible title (ie. one that includes [issueXXX]), Roundup will be able
 > to associate it with the right issue.

These are less obvious.

Here is what I have gathered so far.

Open patch in browser tab to get its url.
Go to http://codereview.appspot.com/
Login in with Google account
Go to Create issue form
Copy and paste url into url field
To get comments mailed back to tracker,
put Issuexxxx in title and
put report at bugs.python.org in reviewer list

Should I open a tracker issue to add something to the tracker doc?

--
Terry Jan Reedy