[Python-Dev] Python profiler and other tools

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 01:20:46 CEST 2010

I am changing the subject from "http://bugs.python.org/issue231540,"
because if there was a prize for a non-descriptive subject, OP would
win it.

There must be a good reason why traditional software development tools
such as debugger, profiler and coverage are mostly neglected in
python.  Terry and I have recently discovered that the trace
(coverage) module does not have any unit tests [1] and pretty much
does not work in 3.x. [2]  One of the recently fixed trace module
problems [3] is likely affecting profile module as well.   I tried to
figure out who works on profile to add them to the nosy list and could
not find anyone.

I seem to remember someone suggesting that python's dynamic nature
makes traditional development tools unnecessary.   A print statement
is the only debugging tool that you need.  There may be some truth to
it, but in this case, python should not distribute these tools.  I am
personally in the opposite camp: I love pdb and I am a big believer in
profiling and coverage testing.   I have entered myself as a
maintainer for the trace module which is the simplest of the three,
but I would like to learn from developers of pdb and profile on a
range of overlapping issues.

[1] http://bugs.python.org/issue9315
[2] http://bugs.python.org/issue9317
[3] http://bugs.python.org/issue9323