[Python-Dev] Python-dev signal-to-noise processing question

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Jul 22 14:22:52 CEST 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 07:02:33 pm Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> OTOH I think as quick as possible an answer is a good idea here.  It
> saves the intended audience the thought about whether to reply or
> not, and an instant, constructive answer says that somebody cares.

+1

I think that waiting "a day or two" as suggested by Average does nobody
any good. It doesn't help the poster, who will almost certainly have
given up by then, and may have concluded that we're stuck-up and rude
for not answering a polite question. It doesn't help those who choose
to reply, because we're sitting around wondering if we've waiting long
enough.

If you consider posting a question to a list without making any effort
to determine whether it is on-topic or not to be a social faux pas, and
therefore worthy of a mild rebuke, the longer you wait the less
effective the negative reinforcement is. Even if you don't see it like
that, and just want to point the poster in the right direction, there's
still no advantage in waiting.

But frankly, I think we're worrying too much. What exactly are we
worried about? As I see it, the worst that can happen is a false
negative, somebody will say "You've posted to the wrong list" and will
be corrected by somebody else who says "No, you've misunderstood the
question, this is the right list". No harm done.

> The message should be "The people who will answer your question on
> python-dev are also on comp.lang.python, as well as many more (you
> may get a faster, and probably more complete, answer on
> comp.lang.python). The people on python-dev don't need to see the
> answer (they already know it), but the people on comp.lang.python are
> likely to be happy to learn it."

We don't need to make excuses for why we don't give the answer here.
It's enough to give the reason -- it's off-topic for this list, which
is about the development of Python. That and a pointer to the right
list is, in my opinion, all we need to say. We don't need to sugar coat
it -- we're all adults here.

--
Steven D'Aprano