[Python-Dev] Python signal processing question

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Jul 22 09:55:19 CEST 2010

Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> The selection of RuntimeError in this particular case seems somewhat random and ad-hoc,

Indeed -- usually a RuntimeError indicates that something
concerning the internals of Python itself is screwed up,
e.g. attempting to execute invalid bytecode.

The fact that it turns up here may be a historical accident.
I can imagine that the signal module dates back to the very
early days of Python, when the conventions for error reporting
were not so well formed.

Maybe this is something that could be considered in the
exception hierarchy revamp proposal that was posted recently?

--
Greg