[Python-Dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jul 14 19:32:21 CEST 2010

On 7/14/2010 2:35 AM, Giampaolo Rodolà wrote:
> One of the main problems with IDLE is the lack of tabs for editing
> multiple files within the same window.
> Having that alone would be a great improvement.

Yes, the same as tabs for browsing was.

This is firstly an unlying gui widget set issue. Tk does not, as far as
I know, have a tabbed document widget. Ttk has a new Notebook widget,
with tabs.

The second issue is whether, starting with 3.2, IDLE can require the
availability of ttk, meaning tcl/tk 8.5+ or the Tile add-on. I opened
http://bugs.python.org/issue9262

--
Terry Jan Reedy