[Python-Dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk at shore.net
Tue Jul 13 04:49:52 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 12 2010, Terry Reedy wrote:

> On 7/12/2010 2:05 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>>> What I specifically want right now is Commit Authorization Privilege,
>>> especially for IDLE,
>>
>> Not sure who could grant that, but as far as I can: you have it.
>
> If I were approved to commit patches directly, then by implication I
> should be able to approve others doing the same. That is occasionally
> done now by others, but I wanted to be clear that for the present, the
> latter is all I could and would do.

I've not had experience with patches from Terry.  I don't think there are
any in IDLE, at least not acknowledged in NEWS.

I'd suggest giving him Tracker access and start out working with the
patch submitters to update their patches to Py3, followed by a patch
review and triage.  He could unset all the bugs/patches assigned to me.

I don't consider that I "own" IDLE.  I've put quite a bit of time into
it, and expect to continue.  But I'd welcome help!

I only hope to keep to roughly the same stylistic philosophy, and hope
I'm still channeling Guido accurately.

In addition, like the rest of the library, IDLE should be an example of
good Python code.  But there is some cruft in there.  Some just old
and/or unfinished, and some, like Multicall.py, rather obscure.
Multicall is needed because Tk forgets what modifier keys were depressed
when an event is generated.  I'm hoping Tk will grow a memory so
Multicall can be simplified.

--
KBK