[Python-Dev] Can ftp url start with file:// ?

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 05:52:32 CEST 2010

Strictly not a Python question, but I wanted to know from the
experience of others in this list.

Is this is valid ftp url?

# file://ftp.example.com/blah.txt (an ftp URL)

My answer is no. When we have the scheme specifically mentioned as
file:// it is no point in considering it as ftp url (which should
start with ftp://).

If I go ahead with this assumption and fix a bug in stdlib, I am
introducing a regression because at the moment the above is considered
a ftp url.

--
Senthil

A real diplomat is one who can cut his neighbor's throat without having
his neighbour notice it.
		-- Trygve Lie